Saturday 23 May 2009

Long Day Cycling!


For a while now, I've been talking about spending a weekend cycling. Just me and some friends riding across some villages in Southern France. Of course, all I did was talk and that too with people who weren't in France. But Sophie planned out a wonderful day cycling around some villages North of Perpignan and I was super excited at the prospect of cycling around some towns, wind in my hair, sense of freedom etc. I got nearly poetic in my head.

Then the day arrived, I got the inappropriately dressed, the idea of cycling 80 km really sinking in and feeling like an idiot ( but whats new!). These things have a way of working out though. One of the girls lent me her floaters (Gawd, i LOVE floaters!) and we were on our way. On days like these, I realise how out of shape I am. (I know this on other days too but it was just clearer that day!). I huffed I puffed, I murmured pep talks to myself. I referred to myself as the turtle. I faked reasons to stop and take rest( eg: time to tie my hair, time to untie my hair, time to put on a sweater, oh look! pretty flower etc...)

By the time the day ended, every muscle in my body hurt. I couldn't sit without making small squeaky sounds but I've never slept better! I slept the sleep of real fatigue!
All said, it was a super day spent with a great bunch of people exploring tiny villages by the sea. we cycled, we fixed flat tires, we ate, we watched a lady make funny hats, we lay on the beach, skipped stones. It was just one of those days where every little thing feels like an adventure! It was a super start to what feels like a great weekend!

No comments: