Wednesday 24 December 2008

London Calling


I have been telling anyone and everyone who has been in possible hearing distance "I'm going to London!" Celebrating Christmas and New Year on the Isles that have made a huge impact on the world whether we like it or not... The first thing that came to my mind when I reached London, (silly as it is) was "oooh! Harry Potter lives here" and then I nearly jumped for joy when I saw a double decker bus! When I saw the London underground with its familiar red circle and blue horizontal line: I thought of my first home.

I walked through its museums in awe, in reverence of the beauty that lay behind those walls. The walls oozed with history, dripped onto every single piece may it be art, artifact or even just a tile. I went to the British museum and realised I hadn't even scraped the surface with my degree in history. Maybe I'm going overboard with my enthusiasm but it doesn't happen often so go with it.

I walked through the streets and something occurred to me that people are the same everywhere. Everytime I go to a different city, I think to myself "what if these people don't ever understand me" and Everytime I get proven wrong. Nothing much changes where people are concerned.

It was like any other big city! Some people were in a hurry, others day dreaming of times passed, others took the time to look at you and just smile. The young were self-involved and talking loudly, the old were contemplative and walking slowly. 

I loved the contrast of the old and the new like in any city which has survived the ages and still commands that spot of power and also was comforted by the fact that people are people, however much you over think them...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi gale, merry christmas. that's one cute blog u've got. hope u are having fun. nice photos too.
love gautam

Galette said...

@gautam: thanks for reading! I am mostly having fun :)

PS: you can use your own name next time