Sunday 8 February 2009

Another First


This Saturday for the first time ever, I went skiing! Hee... To recount background info, I went skiing with the university (they organise a trip nearly every week). We went to a place in the mountains(Pyrenees) close by called Puyvalador. The weather conditions were horrible: -11 degrees, lots of snow, lots of wind.These are the settings for my first few hours of skiing!  

Needless to say, I fell a LOT. That wasn't the worst part. I just couldn't get up after i fell! I tried and I tried and I tried. Then someone would come and push me up! Stupid freaking flat skis! after the first 3 falls,(and 20 mins of trying to get upright per fall before my instructor helped me up) I vowed not to fall! I managed most of the morning without falling. Of course, 5 yr olds whizzing by you, skiing like pros, is not a confidence booster. But I was determined not to give up. 

By the end of the day, I had fallen 6 times, the wind tried to push me over many more times but I learned to dig myself in and stop pretty quick! For some reason, I could only turn left and not right. I tried sooo hard to turn right but it just wouldn't happen! But I was happy that that morning it took me 10 mins to get down that slope and by afternoon, it took me less than a minute. Of course, this was the baby slope. But I don't care, it was achievement enough for one day.

A day later, I still hurt all over! Again, I realize how out of shape I am. I know I'm going to be in the same state next time too but I can't wait to go again! 

3 comments:

Umelette said...

Now reading that, i don't know if i am looking forward to my ski trip or not !! But go gale go !

HK said...

wah! i wanna ski too!

Mayuleee said...

waah waahh... Gale in the skipping competition in france. Too much much, i say. But why couldn't you skip left and not right gale? :)