Friday 27 February 2009

My dream city


Last weekend, I went to Barcelona. Land of Gaudi, football and crazy parties. I've been curious about it for awhile now. No one says anything bad about Barcelona. Everyone seems to love it and I wanted firsthand information on the why.

I took the bus to get there and promptly (like an old lady) fell asleep. I got up just as we were rolling into Barcelona. My first thought was: this is place is huge!. Recently I've been feeling like I'm from Alibaug everytime I see a big city. Perpignan has ruined twenty... hmmm... LOTS of years of big city life in 4 months. I felt that awe of seeing something new and what can only be described as gorgeous. We get there and I'm rearing to go and that's when it strikes me: I dont speak the language. That put a damper on my enthusiasm but not for long! We got directions and promptly got lost ( my brilliant map reading skills don't do very well when tested).

We finally got our hostel ( map worked at last!) and the exploration began! I just couldn't get over the fact that there were soooo many people. I know I sound like a blubbering village idiot. But there were soo many people! I loved it! Noisy, Lively and Vibrant! People painting on the sidewalk, random statue people, singing, dancing and hussling of course! I didn't want to blink. I soaked and soaked and soaked in the atmosphere, the loverly weather and the happy people.

Another thing that surprised. Stores were open till late! In France, everything shuts by 6. In Barcelona, 6 is when people set out to shop! Stores were open till 10! This did not help my budget. In fact, it burned a hole right in the middle of it. But it was Spain! I was like eh whatever!
Another time factor: people eat late! We went to a restaurant at 10 which I thought was late. It was empty I thought people were done ages ago. Said people walked in at 11! I loved that! Especially after Blore where everything shuts at 11:30 and France where its pretty much the same unless you go to a bar. We had sangrias(slurp) and paella.

The morning was gorgeous! We didn't do much. Just walked around. Soaked in the sun. Walked along the port. Randomly stopped and listened to people singing and playing music. I can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

Umelette said...

Nor can i !!

justfeltlike said...

I just love the life you're living!