Sunday 1 February 2009

Auberge Espagnole

The first of February was the first of what I hope will be many assistant "get-togethers". Let me step back and tell you that there are about 25 odd assistants in Perpignan which is a tiny city in the South of France. We vaguely know each other, nod heads as we do our everyday thing. But we haven't really met and done anything together. So I decided to take the initiative(one of the few times that THAT has happened!). I invited all the assistants that I could think of to my place on a Sunday afternoon. (Perpignan is so European in that way. Theres absolutely nothing to do on a Sunday!).

The weather made something indoors the best thing to do! So we all gathered in my apartment for an "auberge espagnole" or in english "potluck". Everyone brought dishes from their countries or just something they adore and we all collectively "hogged". We ate and drank for more than 2 hours. It was great!. 

I'm so glad I decided to do it in the end. There were a lot of people but we managed in my smallish apartment. 20 people! Even though there were mostly english speakers, a lot of french was spoken. I spoke to people I had seen around but never really talked to. The was brilliant. Recipes are going to be exchanged after this one for sure. We had everything from sushi to apple crumble! We talked about our students (more like bitched about them), discussed vacations (we have a lot of those!) and realised that we had a lot in common even though we came from different everythings! At times like these, I love being part of this programme! It was the kind of thing, Ive always wanted to be part of!

I want to experiment, do new things and this was the best thing I've done for a long time! 
I tried so many new things in one evening!
I met new people, I tried new food( ex: sushi), I tried new drinks (ex: limoncello!).

Maybe I'm repeating myself but It was superfunkycool! (wink wink pleet :D)

5 comments:

Jinu Peyeti said...

what did u make Galette? (so much catching up to do, am wondering when! :P )

Galette said...

@ jinuni :) I made rajma! tried n tested. I dint want to make something new for 20 people! I like my trial groups smaller! hee!

Mayuleee said...

So I decided to take the initiative(one of the few times that THAT has happened!)..... This is the best line in this post...
But i am glad u doesing something good good like getting together lots of ppl with food and eating it alll... Creative i must say :)

Umelette said...

I am inspired and kind of wondering if i could pull off a similar thing here ! But im too chicken !

HK said...

it sounds superfunkycool too :D
oh oh me gonna start trying new things too :)
that be one of my new year resolutions!